The skinny



Today I was diagnosed with atopic dermatitis (eczema), which is a genetic disease that effects my skin. I'm really sad that this is an issue I'll have to deal with for the rest of my life, but at least now I know what's going on and I'm not just itching without reason. It's an incurable disease, but the symptoms are fairly easy to prevent or eliminate by changing a few things in my life. For one, I'll have to drink a lot more water. This is a condition that is all about dry skin, so the more hydrated I am on the inside, the better. Another treatment is to over-moisturize with creams and emollients, not regular lotions which contain lipids and water. The doctor gave me a few prescription strength creams to use for now and then he recommended switching to something gentle by Cetaphil or Aveeno. Luckily, another preventative measure is to take short, lukewarm showers! Yay, dream come true. As many of you know, I don't like showers, so this is actually an easy one for me :)

The hardest preventative measure will be trying to eliminate my consumption of wheat. Apparently wheat is a very drying substance and so that means no more sandwiches and no more beer. I love sandwiches and beer.

I'm a little down about this, but like I said, at least now I know and I can work around it to make it manageable.

xxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Link Queen's Thursday Things

Cleanse Day One

Happy Birthday, Amanda.